A week ago I turned 29.
I decided that instead of giving into the despairing depths of ‘nearly hitting 30 and not got my life sorted out quite as much as I thought I would with a faint tick tock ever present’ I’m going to take this year by the ears, and make it a bloody good one!
An idea I’ve been playing with for a while is a 30 before I’m 30 challenge, so I sourced ideas across my lovely birthday celebrations – including friends old and new, and family. The list ended up at 50, so a bit of editing was required.
Two of the things that didn’t *quite* make the final cut include ‘throw up on your own shoes’ and ‘ride a pig in a shopping centre’ – both lovely suggestions from my little sister!
The Final List (in no particular order)
- Go to New York
- Road Trip (one epic or several – weekend trips, day trips, etc etc!)
- Learn to Crochet
- Write and Illustrate a children’s book
- Host a 3 course dinner party
- Fly a kite
- Shoot a bow and arrow
- Perform at an Open Mic night by myself
- Go horse-riding (and at least see if I can still do it!)
- Learn how to play Chess
- Join a gym (and actually go!)
- See Wicked
- Drive a particularly fast car (thinking around a track sort of deal)
- Go to The Barber Institute
- Go to The Electric Cinema
- Use Air BnB
- See every (free) exhibition at BMAG
- Go to the V&A properly
- Go on a pub crawl (probably the Harborne one!)
- Get a vibrant hair colour ( a slice through counts!)
- Buy a Car
- Revamp my work wardrobe
- Buy a goat
- Meditate all day
- Go on a rollercoaster
- Learn one song on drums
- Go on a spa day
Taking inspiration from my friend Issy, who did 25 things in her 25th year, I have left 3 things free to add throughout the year.
One of the things I wanted to put on but didn’t, was to think less about what people think about me – care less, and be more confident in myself. After reviewing the list, I decided that although this is definitely a goal, it didn’t really fit with the rest of the list – so it’s going onto the unwritten ‘life goals’ list instead.
A few of the items that made it onto the list are quite easy to do – I’m going car shopping next week for example – but I think it’s quite a balanced list for me.
So, the next year will be one full of new adventures, and hopefully new blogs too!